Saturday, September 22, 2012

Treatments that make you ill in order to make you better

I would call that an oxymoron, no?  One has only to think of chemotherapy to know that sometimes in the medical world doctors give you a treatment that makes you far sicker than you originally felt in order to combat your illness.  It seems backwards to me but I'm not the one with the medical degree.  I am currently on 2000mg a day of a prescription whose main job is to suppress my immune system.  Lovely! Just in time for flu season and I'm coping with my first cold since the medication started.  The only physical difference I've noticed so far is that it seems to be lasting longer than a normal cold lasts but it has made a definite difference to my social calendar.

Let me explain my husband for a moment.  Jimmy is amazing (of course, I am a bit biased), loyal, generous, caring and protective.  I can't even imagine how he suffered during my first hospital stay for meningitis.  I lost consciousness on Monday evening and didn't regain it until Wednesday.  He kept vigil over me, praying nonstop and pacing.  Our church family was wonderful and lifted us up in constant prayer which I know helped carry Jimmy through the ordeal as well as my best friends giving him all the support he needed.  You can imagine that my illness (as well as how lightening fast it struck) made him a bit paranoid.  Even worse, it continued to happen.  Our oldest kid jokes that I scarred dad for life.  He won't go visit his friends on the other side of the state unless a friend can stay with me (yes, apparently at 36 I still need a babysitter!).  

So...because we aren't sure what my colds will look like on this medication and we don't know if colds will morph into something like pneumonia, Jimmy has gone into full papa bear mode.  We had a weekend full of plans that we've had to cancel.  Instead of the high school Homecoming game last night, we stayed in and watched Snow White & the Huntsman. Today instead of doing a Komen 5K with my daughter and some friends, I made a batch of homemade yogurt, an Oreo poke cake and dinner rolls.  And finally, instead of celebrating my nephew's 8th birthday tonight, I've been knitting and watching college football.  I do definitely enjoy quiet weekends at home with my family, but I am sad that I had to miss out on all the fun stuff we had planned.  It is worth staying healthy but there are days when I just want to throw a temper tantrum.  Oh well....at least I've read three books in the last few days....that can never be a bad thing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment