Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Family Traditions

One of the things that is important to hubby & I is that we build fun family traditions to share with our kids.  Some traditions are small and simple, like going to church every weekend or having pizza every Friday night.  Others are typical like having a family game night.  What are some of the traditions your family has?

Thanksgiving is HUGE in our family.  We start the morning out with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.  Then while I start the meal, hubs gets the Christmas tree out and starts to put it together. 

When we have Jimmy's girls for Thanksgiving, it's Rain's job to stuff the turkey. 
Yeah, her dad thought it was pretty darn funny...mainly because he won't touch raw meat. 

Ani bastes the turkey

Anii & Dez help Daddy put the tree together




Another tradition is that we have a football/pumpkin party every year with some of our closest friends.
 

She swears it tastes just like chicken!  Ewwwww

Then there is the same crew for a Christmas party that may or may not involve messy cookie decorating and ornament making....depends on the host!




While I'm on the topic of Christmas, we have the Christmas tree cinnamon rolls.  This was a tradition I grew up with and I love carrying it on for our kids.

And a tradition that Jimmy & I started with the kids...Jesus' birthday cake!

The reason traditions came to mind is that I'm going to start a new one with my baby girl tonight.  A brilliant (I think!) idea that I, of course, got from Pinterest.



I picked up this adorable notebook at my favorite store today and wrote a short letter to Ani in here.  I've slid it under her pillow & when she gets home from Youth Group tonight, I'll let her in on the secret.  We can take turns writing to one another and hiding it under our pillows.  I think it will be a great way to keep our relationship as close as it is now and it will be a great memory for her to have when my time comes.  She can share the idea with her daughters if she is so blessed to have them.  

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great tradition to start!! I'm just wondering if Katy would be willing to do it. I may just do it and surprise her. The only traditions that have really lasted with us is movies on Thanksgiving and lasagna on Christmas Eve. As the kids have grown, those two things seem to be the things they have latched on to.

    ReplyDelete