Saturday, November 9, 2013

Cheater Caramel Frappucino Cupcakes

I have a dirty little secret to share with y'all.  Don't tell anyone, but I infinitely prefer box mix cakes, cupcakes and brownies.  Oh, also store bought frosting. I'm a heathen, I know!  While I'm at it, I might as well admit that I prefer instant mashed potatoes to the lumpy, dumpy real ones.  Please don't hate me.  Maybe it comes from growing up eating only box mix cakes and instant mashed potatoes.  My mom, while she enjoys cooking does NOT like to bake at all unless it's simple and easy. I suppose I am passing this legacy on to my children.  I know all about the additives and preservatives in these quick mixes but I just can't help myself.  It's like trying to resist a bag of Laffy Taffy's in my cupboard, impossible.

I myself love to both bake and cook but sometimes I have no patience for the intricate cooking required on more complicated recipes.  In addition, I lack some of the proper equipment.  Cooking tools, like my crafting tools, are something that I have to accumulate one piece at a time.

All those excuses aside, I'm always on the lookout for recipes that I can adapt by substituting my precious box mixes instead of going the fully homemade route.  Today's recipe is one of those.  I surfed my favorite source for inspiration (Pinterest of course!) and mixed and matched ingredients in several recipes to come up with one that would work for me.  So here it is:

Cheater Caramel Frappucino Cupcakes

 Start with a box of chocolate cake mix (I prefer devil's food cake) and prepare it according to the directions on the box but substitute one cup of fresh brewed coffee for the water.  

Bake as directed and once the cupcakes cool, cut a hole in the top with a knife and fill with caramel frosting (recipe to follow).  Then pipe some of that store bought yummy frosting on top and add some chocolate shavings.  Voila!  

Caramel Frosting

1/2  cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Put the butter, brown sugar and whipping cream in a sauce pan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and then cook & stir regularly for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Remove from the heat and add vanilla.  Once the sauce has cooled to lukewarm, whip in the powdered sugar until it reaches the consistency of spreadable frosting. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment