Wednesday, October 3, 2012

DIY Wednesday

Today I decided to tackle two projects....an organizer for our keys and a jewelry organizer for Annika.  She owns plenty of jewelry (that she either suckered me into buying or her Aunt Lea into making) but rarely wears it because it's all tangled up in a box on her bookcase.  I thought having it sorted and visual would help her when she's getting ready in the mornings.  

Now, to be perfectly frank, today was definitely not a good day to begin any DIY projects.  After my relapse last week, my rheumatologist has decided to keep me on steroids until further notice.  So, in addition to battling The-Cold-That-Won't-Leave, I also get to struggle with hunger and 'roid rage.  I spent the majority of my day today in a steroid-induced fog of extreme irritation.  The woman hogging the aisle at the grocery store irritated me.  The woman standing at the self-checkout whistling at the cashier to get her attention was enough to make me go nuclear.  So trying to create something today may not have been my best decision.  

The first frame I tried to use split on two corners.  I tried gluing it.  No go.  I tried to nail it together.  Again, zip.  So I moved on to a new frame:
 I added cup hooks and then spray painted the whole she-bang.  It took two coats and another one on the hooks before it was done.
Here's to hoping Annika actually makes use of it!

My next project was to create a key organizer to hang by our front door.  The main purpose for this organizer is actually for my son's lanyard.  He tends to forget his ID and it's a requirement to get on the bus, to wear in the school, etc.

In this case, I used an 8"x10" wider framed black frame and added cup hooks that I had already spray painted black.  I used some subway art that quotes one of my favorite hymns to put inside the frame.
Unfortunately the glow of a job well done was not enough to clear out that ugly 'roid fog.  Fortunately for my sake, my husband was able to do so by mimicking Dorie (from our favorite movie) and asking me "Who's Mr. Grumpy Gills?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment