Tuesday, October 2, 2012

An old family recipe

Some of my fondest early memories include being in my great grandma Eklund's kitchen baking chocolate chip cookies.  My paternal great grandmother was like a fairy tale grandma with rosy cheeks, sparkling blue eyes and a wide smile that was always ready to shine.  I am so blessed to have had her in my life and one of my favorite ways to keep her memory alive is to make her famous Swedish pancakes.  In addition to her great chocolate chip cookies, great grandma made the most amazing Swedish pancakes.  My parents still have an index card with the recipe written in her spidery script and someday I plan on framing that for my kitchen.

Now both sides of my family are Swedish (and quite proud of it) and so I grew up on food like Swedish pancakes and fleckspancakka (a pancake-like breakfast casserole with bacon in it) and praying a Swedish prayer with every big family meal.  I assumed everyone else in the world knew the delight of eating the paper thin, buttery Swedish pancakes.  I also took for granted the level of work involved in creating that buttery perfection.  My great grandma passed her knowledge down to my dad and so even after she went home to be with Jesus, my dad would spend hours at the stove making Swedish pancakes for me.  Once I became an adult and attempted to make them myself, I realized just how much work they were.  It took me years to perfect the thinness and to avoid tearing each one as I flipped it.  Twelve years into my pancake making journey and I finally have it down pat.  I've also passed my love of Swedish pancakes on to my children.

 Eklund Swedish Pancakes

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 stick of butter, melted

First add the flour, sugar, eggs & milk.  Whisk them to make sure they are well mixed before you add the butter.  Heat your skillet.  I use 1n 8" pan and I usually spray it with cooking spray.  Once you add the first pancake, you won't need to worry about that anymore because they are so buttery.  Add the butter right before you are ready to start cooking the pancakes and whisk well.   Finding the right amount of batter to add is going to be trial and error.  I use a large ladle and fill it about halfway.  Once I add the batter to the pan, I swirl the pan to coat the entire bottom.  You want a thin covering of batter in the pan.  Once the edges start to brown, carefully slide the spatula under the pancake and flip it.  
The finished product should look something like this.  

I hope you enjoy these as much as our family does! Skål!

1 comment:

  1. Terry's mom, Pruda, made these all the time but we called them "Flat Pancakes". The kids would have contests to see how many they could eat. I still haven't perfected the thin-ness of it all.

    ReplyDelete