Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Back to School Prep

With a little less than a week before school starts, the back to school frenzy is kicking into high gear.  Registrations (this year, I registered nine kids for school...two of my own and seven refugee children), orientations, pictures, school shopping, supply shopping, hair cuts, and weeding out the clothes from last year that no longer fit.  And in order to make my life easier, I am also doing some food prep so there is less hassle once the busyness of the school year begins.  

I started with strawberries.  My husband drinks a protein shake every morning that consists of soy milk, peanut butter, and frozen strawberries.  When I can find a good sale on fresh strawberries, I cut the stems off, flash freeze them and then put them in serving size baggies so he can just thaw one bag each day.





After the strawberries, I made egg sandwiches & English muffin bread.  I found the breakfast sandwich recipe here and adapted it.  



Freezer Egg Breakfast Sandwiches

12 light multi-grain English muffins
12 eggs
12 slices of American cheese

1.  Preheat the oven to 350.
2.  Split the muffins open and lay them all on a cookie sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes until toasty.
3.  Spray a jumbo muffin pan with canola and crack eggs in each one.  Use the tip of a knife to pierce the yolks.
4.  Bake eggs for 10-15 minutes until set.
5.  Remove eggs from pan and allow to cool.  Season with salt & pepper.
6.  Assemble sandwiches with one slice of American cheese and an egg between the English muffin.
7.  Wrap in saran wrap & freeze.
8.  To cook, microwave for 1 minute on 50% power.

And finally, I finished off my day of food prep with some freezer rolls.  This recipe makes enough rolls to last us about 6 meals so I only have to make a batch about once a month.

Whew!  That's a lot of work for someone who needs two naps a day to get by.  As a nice little break, my baby girl & I did a mama/daughter date yesterday and went to see Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.  It made Ani's day as she has read all of the books and loves them.  It was very good and neither of us can wait for the next movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment