Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Rituxan #2-Reality hits

I underwent my second (and final for the next six months HOPEFULLY!) treatment yesterday.  It was an even better experience than the first treatment. They were able to tap a vein in two pokes as opposed to the four it took last time.  It also went by more quickly as they were able to increase the IV flow more this time since my body handled the Rituxan well last time. 

Two weeks ago, after my first treatment,Jimmy & I were both very pleasantly surprised at how light my side effects were.  Minimal nausea, no vomiting, only a low grade headache and my worst side effect was the fatigue.  So we were heading into this treatment with far less concerns.  But on Sunday, the day before the second treatment, my nausea got much worse and I started vomiting.  Since I got home from the treatment yesterday, the nausea is constant (I've been toting my puke bucket around with me everywhere), my stomach is revolting in other, unpleasant ways, there is a never ending buzzing headache and a low grade temp.  I am also starting to lose big clumps of hair though I think that is to be attributed to the Methotrexate and not the Rituxan as hair loss is not a usual side effect for the Rituxan.  I will keep an eye on the hair loss and will make a decision soon if we should go for the big chop.  

To focus on the positive, my kids and husband are being so amazingly helpful.  Yesterday, Aidan waited on me hand and foot, covering me with a blanket, bringing me my trusty puke bucket, constantly asking if I was doing ok.  We also had another meal delivery from church which was just amazing and perfect timing.  My devotional yesterday morning was perfect timing, as usual.  It said "Your ongoing struggle is not a mistake or punishment.  Try to view it, instead, as a rich opportunity: Your uphill journey keeps you aware of your neediness, so you look to Me for help."  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment