Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Less is More

At the time of year where resolutions are still fresh and the need to clean, lose weight, get organized and start working out is strong, I am feeling a need to get down to the bare essentials.  It's more than just cleaning or organizing, it's the idea that we are way too attached to "stuff".  We may have a small house but we have a ton of stuff clogging it, crammed into every nook and cranny.  Things that we haven't used or even looked at for months, if not years.  

One of my goals for 2013 is to pare down our possessions.  Do I need two full sets of good china with crystal glasses?  Do we need a kids cupcake decorating kit that was only used once?  Does my son need all 56 Lego kits that he has crammed into his room?  The same Lego kits that haven't been touched since he discovered Skyrim and Minecraft?  Does my daughter need the piles of teeny-bopper magazines that my mother insists on buying for her?  No, no, no and no.  

The idea of tackling all of this is a bit overwhelming so I've decided to divide the house into sections and approach it one small portion at a time.  This week it's our main DVD rack and the hallway closet.  I'm going to divide things into four piles.  Sell, give away, throw away and keep.  I am going to get the entire family involved so that we are all invested in living a simpler life.  Jimmy & I are looking for ways to teach our children to be grateful and content with what they have and I believe that this is definitely one of the steps in that process.   

No comments:

Post a Comment