Monday, January 7, 2013

Blessings Abound

The last holiday season was quite dreary and sad for us in the Chase family.  I spent Christmas, New Years, my husband's birthday and my birthday all in the hospital.  Sometimes I wondered if my illness had a holiday magnet.  I also spent the Monday through Thursday before Easter in the hospital as well as the few days before Halloween this year.  Thankfully, we have been blessed this holiday season and I've managed to stay out of the hospital for each and every important day so far.  All that is left to weather is my birthday in a few weeks but that one doesn't concern me as much.

Last week we were able to ring in the New Year with some good friends and then my husband had his birthday off so we were able to celebrate it together quietly.  Originally we had planned on going out for dinner but we decided to stay in with some movies and dinner at home.  

In honor of Jimmy's birthday, I made his all time favorite meal...sausage and peppers.  



Sausage & Peppers (adapted from here)
 
2 packages hot Italian sausage
2 cans of tomato paste 
2 12 ounce bottles of beer
5-6 peppers, sliced (I usually use a combination of green & red bell peppers)

1.  Brown the sausage in a large skillet on the stove.  Don't worry about cooking them all the way through, just make sure they are evenly browned.
2.  Remove sausage and pour in both bottles of beer.  Stir up the sausage drippings and then add both cans of tomato paste.
3.  Add pepper slices, cover and let simmer until softened.
4.  While the peppers are simmering, slice the sausage into medallions.
5.  Add the the sausage to the pan and simmer with a lid on for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked through. 

Today is a return to routine and normalcy.  The kids are back to school, the hubby is back to work and I am back to being on my own at home.  It is times like these that I wished I homeschooled the kids.  At least I have the puggies to keep me company and a whole list of goals to achieve this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment