Sunday, December 30, 2012

Praising Him

Yesterday morning during my quiet time, I couldn't focus on God or the words in my devotional.  My heart and mind were spinning with worries and anxieties over every day life.  Over things that I cannot control or fix.  As usual, I spent my morning trying to come up with ways to fix it myself.  I am way too self reliant and thankfully God is infinitely patient with that flaw of mine (and with all the others!).  I know that I need to give up control and hand the reins to God but planning and controlling things are what I do best so it's quite difficult to give them up.  Knowing and doing are two totally different things so my prayer this morning was some guidance on how to start giving up control.  As it so often happens, my devotional gave me some insight.

"So when problems are weighing heavily upon you, break free by worshiping Me-in songs, in shouts, even in whispers.  These sacred acclamations decimate the darkness and invite Me into your awareness, brightening the atmosphere around you.  Problems fade into the background while you are engaged in worshiping Me.  Awareness of My presence strengthens you and fills you with joy."

Not only is that a wonderful answer, but perfect timing for me as we plan to go to church this morning.  Praising and worshiping God with our church family always inspires me and opens my heart and mind to God and what He is trying to tell me.  

Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord;
let us shout to the Rock of salvation.
Let us come before Him with thanksgiving.
Let us sing psalms of praise to him.
For the Lord is a great God, a great King above all gods.
He holds in his hands the depths of the earth and the mightiest mountains.
The sea belongs to him, for he made it.  
His hands formed the dry land too.
Come, let us worship and bow down.
Let us kneel before the Lord our marker, for he is our God.
We are the people he watches over,
the flock under his care.
If only you would listen to his voice today!

Psalm 95:1-7

No comments:

Post a Comment